Thursday, March 11, 2010

I am...that person

1) I like to stumble into things. This fleshes itself out in coffee shop discoveries and great books. For example, when I am looking to relax and breathe deep, I wander the library stacks and when I find a promising book, I sit down in that aisle and begin reading.

2) I prefer doing my papers (much to the dismay of my professors) between the hours of midnight and 3AM. There is something about the quiet of that time when everything really does go away and I can simply write.

3) I take pictures of beautiful moments. I was in London this time last year and my friend, Hayley and I were taking a nap in Hyde Park (because it was not freezing). Hayley slept in the emerald green grass, futbol-ers played around us, and a group of girls gossiped and giggled. There were virtually no clouds. I was reading Velvet Elvis, by Rob Bell. It was the moment when he spoke of universal truths, and if all truth is God's truth, then a truth originating in a culture which embraces a different worldview still counts (the issue was about debt). It was a moment when God blew up and came close at the same time. Face to face, breathing simultaneously. So, I took a picture of the sky to commemorate the moment. The beauty of the incredible peace held in those precious minutes.

4) I love the feel of the ground on my feet. I would prefer soft grass; however, my current concrete wonderland satisfies the deepest need to rid myself of everything that entangles. So, I walk around the city, barefoot. I rarely pick up shards of glass or uncomfortably shaped rocks, so it seems a fair trade.

5) I am an impatient person, especially when I am cold. Ergo, I walk through crosswalks as long as I won't get hit by the approaching traffic. All I have to say is that I have not died, yet.

6) I have opinions. So far, no lights have switched on (or off, whichever best fits) which tell me that people do not always want to hear my opinions. If I have something to say that I think will benefit a discussion, I say it.

7) I do not like to bend to codes of behavior which are pressured from outside of me. I do not care what you do, God will not stop loving and madly pursuing you. So, I take some liberties with my speech and my behavior. I do not like to do things (devotions, being silent, wearing certain clothes, or not saying what I think) simply because I fear the reactions of those around me or because those things are labelled as "Christian" behavior. If I do something, I want to know in every part of me that it is a true reflection of my love for the Christ who loved and saved me. Easier said than done.

8) My favorite number is 16 because it is the first number which has five factors (1, 2, 4, 8, 16). I chose it for that reason when I was in 6th grade and really enjoying math class. I was lying in bed one night, in my house on Hill Street (1615) in Plattsmouth, NE and decided that I needed a favorite number.

9) I love life and am idealistic, but I also have an incredibly harsh view of reality. Describing it further would depress both of us.

10) I hate this blog because no one reads it. But it serves as an outlet. So I keep writing...for myself.

Basically, I am...that person.

that's all
me

No comments:

Post a Comment