Friday, March 12, 2010

Choices

Fact: You always have a choice. 


You might not feel like you do. 


But, you always have a choice to do what is the best for you.


It might not feel great. In fact, you might feel like an ass. But some things, like health, safety, and freedom are worth feeling like an ass for. It is worth it to be uncomfortable and stare into your reflection as you hold onto the hope of it. Getting. Better.


And, it will.
Get.
Better.


You will live. You will find a new way to live. A better one.




This is an excerpt from my novel:




See, the thing about pain is that no matter what happens, if it doesn't kill you, you will live through it. It doesn't matter if pain makes you stronger, you have to experience it. Every second. People forget this fact. I know my pain is not the worst imaginable. My pain is, in fact, laughably minimal. From a certain perspective, my life is quite luxurious. But, I think the greatest tragedy in any life is to feel forced to live it as less than human. Those who live in highly restricted societies, unable to feel the true depth of the sweetness of the sun on their faces. Those who live in insanely impoverished areas, unable to see past their current crises. While my life has allowed me ample opportunity to bear witness to a deep, magical beauty inherent in most moments, others have not had such luxury. But this life leaves me less than human.


The other thing about pain is that it's always relative to the person: that person's sense of normality, and that person's dreams. That which is unfamiliar automatically puts a person into the category of uncomfortable. Depending on the extent of unfamiliarity, said person will also begin to wonder what the changes mean. Am I of lesser value? Why is this happening? Is there something wrong with me? Why am I feeling this way? Why is he/she reacting like that? All of these unfamiliar feelings converge and give way to a moment. A choice to decide what you will do with how your life has played out so far.




that's all
me

No comments:

Post a Comment