Friday, February 26, 2010

Shadows of Perfection

Ever feel like you can't do anything right?


Like what you do is never enough?


Lately, I have been feeling this way in most aspects of life: work, school (paper writing, theatre company, etc.), relationships (friends, family). I was speaking with someone about this feeling of always being unable to do anything right. In her response to my feelings, she spoke of how unrealistic it is to have an expectation of perfect. Perfection will never be realized, so why emotionally kill yourself for something you will not achieve? I have known this principle for many years, but it does not mean it is not utterly frustrating that I am not perfect, yet. I will never love perfectly. I will never speak perfectly. I will never communicate perfectly. I exist in the shadows of perfection (a phrase coined by my friend). I exist in a realm of reality where failing is normal.


I exist 
in shadows
In darkness 
I breathe
feet cold
fingers cold
lips cold

I could speak
I could write
but say what?
If the product
is only shadow,
of utter perfection
then why produce?


There is, however, an automatic grace as everyone falls into the same category of imperfect. No one will achieve such a status, so we all get grace. Hopefully, we do not abuse this grace; but, it is there. It is all around. Instead of breathing freezing cold air and feeling desperate, we breathe in the frigid air, and relish in the fact that our lungs still work. The temperature shocks our body systems and we jerk to a sudden state of alertness. A shot of adrenaline rushes, heart rate increases, toes get ready to move.


This flawed idea of perfection rears its distorted head in various aspects of life: body image, speech, intelligence (ever had a written paper torn to shreds?), talent, etc. I could go on, but it would be too torturous, not to mention revealing of all the areas perfection has taunted me.


I wrote this in the Fall, and wanted to share it.


If I was supposed to be happy
you were supposed to tell me how
If I was to achieve success
you were supposed to tell me when I was there

My life would be measured and weighed by you
But who are you?
Where did you come from,
and with what authority do you judge me?

If I follow the thread of my desires,
the deepest longings of my life
where would I end up?
where did you end up?

Did you end up fighting with everything, 
in every way to please another
to achieve affirmation of desirability,
worth, value, beauty, or strength?

When I trace these threads to the depths,
to those places I rarely go,
because I do not like what I see,
I will find that you are the perfect me

The perfect me is the me
who lives in a day-dream of the future
The me who wants every dream dreamt
to become a living, breathing reality

But what do I get when I become that person?
A haunting question
with an ever-haunting answer
Somehow, if I get to perfect, its desire will not quit

That's all
me

No comments:

Post a Comment